2020 ASSLA StudyAugust 10, 2021
Division of State Initiatives (DSI) Leadership TrainingSeptember 10, 2021
The DC Department of Employment Services (DOES) engaged Bayne LLC to provide a one-day training on workplace culture for the Division of State Initiatives (DSI). Based on needs uncovered during the workplace wellness training, DOES engaged Bayne to conduct a follow-up session on conflict management.
Workplace Wellness Training (Results-Oriented Performance Culture)
- Planned, coordinated logistics, and provided a facilitated a one-day in-person training for 50 participants at an off-site location focused on culture and accountability, and cohesiveness and culture
- Educated participants about the performance-based benefits of physical activity, and how physical activity affects morale, and how certain exercises and fitness tips can be implemented at work
- Educated participants on how to establish a culture of accountability, utilizing three benchmarks that are key to creating a culture that supports employees, promotes accountability, and encourages performance: Committed & Aligned Leadership, Collaboration in Support of Wellness and Accountability, and Collecting Meaningful Data (to assess current workplace culture and identify areas of improvement)
- Facilitated a discussion on the realities and challenges of collaboration and teamwork arising from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Facilitated a series of teambuilding exercises to help develop a culture of trust and support amongst DSI staff
Conflict Management Training
- Planned and facilitated a one-day in-person training for 50 participants at an off-site location, built upon the previously held Workplace Wellness Training and the barriers to success in changing DSI culture.
- Facilitated a four-part session to address how to better manage workplace conflict.
- Led participants through creating the day’s agenda, discussing lessons learned from the earlier training, an icebreaker exercise to facilitate bonding and learning about each other, and a body-mind warm up that incorporated stretching and meditation
- Guided participants through an exercise that explored cultural challenges and envisioned components of a new DSI culture
- Facilitated interactive sessions where participants more deeply explored DSI’s current culture, reasons people leave how accountability works in the department.
- Facilitated participants’ exploration and presentation of ways to realign organizational culture
- Facilitated a process whereby each participant identified their personal commitment to the new DSI culture and what they were willing to help fix, where they would lead, and what values they will honor going forward
- Educated participants on the difference between conflict resolution vs conflict management
- Educated participants on how stereotypes and biases can impact workplace interactions, how to use active listening skills, effective questioning techniques, and how to communicate with strength
- Educated participants on the importance of body language in interpersonal communication
- Facilitated participants’ identification of ways to encourage conflict resolution in the workplace.
Participants received certificates upon completion of each day’s training.